Spicy Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy to throw together and full of big flavors, this soup is a crowd-pleaser. Have fun with a variety of toppings so everyone can make it their own.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 Tablespoon Cumin
- 1/2 Tablespoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 (15oz) can No Salt Added diced tomatoes with their juices
- 5 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (4oz) can diced jalapeños (or diced mild green chilies for less heat)
- 1 (15oz) can Low Sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 chicken breasts, cooked* and shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic until soft.
- Stir in chili powder, cumin and Italian seasoning and lightly toast ~ 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, 5 cups of broth and water, bring to a boil, then turn down to a simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in jalapeños (or chilies), beans and chicken*.
- Add more water if needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Simmer 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot, topped with your favorite toppings such as chopped cilantro, light sour cream, shredded cheese or a few broken tortilla chips**.
- *Note: If you prefer, you can add raw chicken to the simmering soup in step 2. You will need to be sure your chicken is cooked through, you will want to add at least an additional 5-7 minutes to your cook time. Pull out chicken breasts when they are fully cooked, chop or shred the meat then return it to the soup.
- **The Nutrition Facts provided include cilantro as a garnish. If you choose to add other toppings be mindful that they will potentially add additional calories and carbohydrate.
- calories: 280
- cholesterol: 63mg
- dietary fiber: 6.04g
- potassium: 231mg
- protein: 28.2g
- saturated fat: 1.9g
- sodium: 204mg
- sugars: 0.7g
- total carbohydrates: 13.4g
- total fat: 8.7g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you like to eat grilled cheese sandwiches?