Smokey Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Smokey and flavorful and oh so easy to make. You'll love having homemade enchilada sauce that's big on flavor and low in salt. Add it to so much more than enchiladas! Try it over eggs, on top of meats, in soups, or mixed with shredded chicken.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chipotle in adobo puree *see note (optional)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 (15oz) can diced tomatoes, no added salt
Makes 4 cups
- In a small saucepan over medium heat add in oil, onion and garlic and saute for 3-5 min until fragrant.
- Add in chili powder, paprika, cumin and chipotle in adobo puree and toast spices for 1-2 minutes, stirring.
- Add in 1 tablespoon of water to deglaze the pan then remove from heat and transfer onion mixture to a bowl.
- To the bowl, add canned diced tomatoes, including their juices, and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Using a stick blender blend until smooth or transfer to a traditional blender and blend until smooth.
(Makes 4 cups; 8 (1/2 cup) servings)
Storage: Store sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week or freeze in a labeled freezer-safe container or bag for up to 3 months.
*Note: Find a 7oz can of Chipotle in Adobo sauce in the International aisle of the grocery store. Using a hand held stick blender, a traditional blender or a mini food processor, puree all the chilies and liquid in the can into a thick pureed sauce. For this recipe you will use 1 tablespoon of the puree (based on desired level of heat), the remaining puree can be frozen in a plastic resealable bag. Pour puree into the bottom of the bag, label and date the bag. Simply slice off a piece of frozen puree for your next recipe.
- calories: 45
- dietary fiber: 3.1g
- potassium: 46mg
- protein: 1.5g
- sodium: 379mg
- sugars: 4.7g
- total carbohydrates: 7.8g
- total fat: 1.2g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?