Mushroom Honey-Mustard Chicken
Honey-mustard is a favorite combination of many people for a reason, it's delicious! Spicy and sweet with lots of savory mushrooms, this dish is high in protein and big on flavor. Enjoy with a side of fresh green salad!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or avocado oil)
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 2.5 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour (*see Tip for gluten-free option)
- In a small bowl, combine oil, chopped onion, mustard, honey, thyme, garlic powder, salt and warm water. Stir to combine using a fork.
- In your slow cooker, lay chicken breasts on the bottom (frozen chicken is ok!).
- Next spread sliced mushrooms over the chicken.
- Finally, pour sauce over the mushrooms and chicken.
- Cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- During the last 30 minutes of cooking, remove about 1/2 cup of liquid from the slow cooker using a glass liquid measuring cup or something similar. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour into the 1/2 cup of liquid and mix quickly using a fork, then pour back into the slow cooker for last 30 minutes of cooking to thicken the sauce.
Note: Every slow cooker is different. Keep an eye on your chicken the first time you make this. If needed, for those who have a slow cooker that runs hot, you can add an additional 1/2 cup water during cooking. Also, if using fresh or thawed chicken, your cooking time will be closer to 5 hours, frozen chicken will be closer to 6hrs.
Tip: If you are eating gluten-free you can substitute Tapioca flour (sometimes called tapioca starch) in place of the flour.
- calories: 179
- calories from fat: 33
- cholesterol: 65mg
- dietary fiber: 1.1g
- potassium: 645mg
- protein: 25.7g
- saturated fat: 0.8g
- sodium: 506mg
- sugars: 6.9g
- total carbohydrates: 11.1g
- total fat: 3.7g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you like to eat grilled cheese sandwiches?