Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetable Stew
Turn an inexpensive cut of beef into a flavorful and satisfying stew that's fit for company.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound beef stew meat (such as beef Chuck), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour (use potato starch flour for gluten-free)
- 8 ounce sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 pound gold potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14 ounce) can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, garlic and sauté about 1 minute. Add the meat and brown, turning frequently for no more than 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the meat with the flour and turn to coat, remove from the skillet and place into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients (mushrooms, carrots, celery, potatoes, thyme, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, salt and pepper), to the crock pot and give it a good stir. Place the lid on and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Season to taste.
Per serving (serves 6)
- calories: 288
- cholesterol: 68mg
- fiber: 4.3g
- potassium: 1132mg
- protein: 28.9g
- saturated fat: 2.3g
- sodium: 547mg
- sugars: 6.1g
- total carbohydrates: 25.4g
- total fat: 7.8g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original. Scaling only applies to the ingredient measurements: no adjustment is made to the recipe instructions, so pan sizes and cooking times and ingredient amounts referred to in the text of the recipe only apply to the original number of servings.
How often do you visit the Type2Diabetes.com community?