Slow Cooker Beef and Vegetable Stew
Turn an inexpensive cut of beef into a flavorful and satisfying stew that's fit for company.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound beef stew meat (such as beef Chuck), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons flour (use potato starch flour for gluten-free)
- 8 ounce sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 4 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 pound gold potatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (14 ounce) can Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups Low Sodium Beef Broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, onions, garlic and sauté about 1 minute. Add the meat and brown, turning frequently for no more than 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle the meat with the flour and turn to coat, remove from the skillet and place into the bottom of the crock pot.
- Add the remaining ingredients (mushrooms, carrots, celery, potatoes, thyme, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, salt and pepper), to the crock pot and give it a good stir. Place the lid on and cook for 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low. Season to taste.
Per serving (serves 6)
- calories: 288
- cholesterol: 68mg
- fiber: 4.3g
- potassium: 1132mg
- protein: 28.9g
- saturated fat: 2.3g
- sodium: 547mg
- sugars: 6.1g
- total carbohydrates: 25.4g
- total fat: 7.8g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?