Filled with veggies and topped with comforting mashed potatoes, this Shepherd's pie is healthy and delicious.
- 2 1/2 pounds gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 tablespoons Avocado Oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 small zucchini, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup baby bella mushrooms, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups kale leaves, chopped
- 15 oz canned diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- Fill a large pot about 3/4 full with water and place over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Add in potatoes and boil for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil and ground turkey. Break up the turkey with a wooden spoon and cook until no longer pink.
- Add in onions, garlic, zucchini and mushrooms and saute with the meat about 3-5 minutes. Add in 1/4 cup of the water if needed.
- Once the veggies are tender and fragrant, add in dried thyme, Italian Seasoning, salt, peas, kale, tomatoes and remaining water and stir to combine. Let simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Once potatoes are tender, drain most of the water from the pot, reserving about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water in the pot.
- Mash the potatoes with a masher and add in almond milk, oil, salt and pepper and continue mashing until smooth.
- Transfer the meat and veggies into an oven-safe baking dish then spread the mashed potatoes over the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-35 minutes until heated through and potatoes are slightly golden.
- calories: 217
- calories from fat: 81
- cholesterol: 48mg
- dietary fiber: 4.3g
- potassium: 792mg
- protein: 16.1g
- saturated fat: 2.3g
- sodium: 306mg
- sugars: 3.7g
- total carbohydrates: 21.3g
- total fat: 9.0g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How stressed out do you feel today?