Salsa Chicken and Rice Soup
The perfect combination of savory chicken, seasoned broth and tender rice makes a hearty and delicious dinner. Top this with diced onions, fresh cilantro or avocado.
- 1/2 cup diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 15 oz diced tomatoes in tomato juice
- 5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 oz diced green chilies
- 1/2 cup brown rice
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 3-4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- In a large pot over medium-high heat saute onions in olive oil until tender and translucent, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the garlic, chili powder, cumin and Italian seasoning to lightly toast the spices and bring out their flavors.
- Add in tomatoes with their juices, broth, water, green chilies and chicken. Bring to a gentle boil.
- Once gently boiling, add in the rice and stir to mix in.
- Let simmer for 35-40 minutes until rice is tender and chicken is cooked through. Season to taste.
- Serve hot topped with diced onion, cilantro or avocado
- Notes/Tip: For extra tender chicken, cook it ahead of time in the slow cooker with a sprinkle of garlic powder and cumin and 1 cup of water on high for 4 hours until the chicken is fall-apart tender then stir into soup before serving.
Interested to know how soup can help with weight loss? Check out Souping Your Way to Good Health and Weight Loss
Per serving (serves 6)
- calories: 319
- cholesterol: 73mg
- fiber: 7.1g
- potassium: 736mg
- protein: 32.8g
- saturated fat: 1.4g
- sodium: 274mg
- sugars: 10.2g
- total carbohydrates: 30.2g
- total fat: 7.2g
- trans fat: 0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?