Rustic Breakfast Hash with Bison
A rustic and delicious way to start your day. This breakfast hash with bison is also high in protein to keep you feeling full longer.
- 1 lb red potatoes, diced into 1/2" pieces
- 1/2 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 lb ground bison (90% lean, 10% fat)
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Spread diced potatoes evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 25-20 minutes, stirring once halfway through, until just golden and tender, remove from oven.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat add 1 teaspoon of oil and saute diced onions for 2-4 minutes until tender and fragrant.
- Add ground bison and diced tomatoes to onions and saute, breaking up the meat with a spoon, until cooked through and meat is no longer pink. Remove meat mixture from the pan and set aside.
- Add another 1/2 teaspoon of oil to the pan, if needed, and over medium-high heat saute scrambled egg mixture until cooked through.
- Add potatoes and meat back in and toss with salt and smoked paprika, serve hot.
- calories: 217
- calories from fat: 78
- cholesterol: 47mg
- dietary fiber: 1.6g
- potassium: 363mg
- protein: 19.3g
- saturated fat: 3.5g
- sodium: 302mg
- sugars: 1.6g
- total carbohydrates: 11.2g
- total fat: 8.6g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you live with any sleep disorders (eg. insomnia, sleep apnea, RLS) in addition to your diabetes?