Rosemary Parmesan Chicken Meatballs
Great for a light meal or a crowd-pleasing appetizer, these lean chicken meatballs are full of flavor and high in protein.
- 1 pound Lean Ground Chicken
- 1/3 cup dry oatmeal
- 3 tablespoons white onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, diced
- 1/8 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, Shredded Cheese (divided)
- 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil (or avocado oil)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 4 cups fresh spinach leaves
- 2 cups no sugar-added Pasta Sauce
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400'F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground chicken, oats, onion, garlic powder, dried thyme, salt, rosemary, ground mustard, water and 2 Tablespoons of Parmesan cheese. Stir just until combined, do not overmix.
- Shape mixture into ping pong ball size meatballs and place in a large 13 x 9 baking dish. (Make 16 meatballs)
- Bake at 400'F for 15-18 min, or until chicken is cooked through and slightly golden. Sprinkle a pinch of remaining shredded Parmesan cheese on each meatball during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- While meatballs are cooking prepare spinach. In a large saucepan over medium heat add oil and grape tomatoes. Saute, covered for 4-5 minutes until tomatoes softened and burst.
- Add garlic and saute 1 minute more.
- Add in spinach leaves and sauce and saute for 2-4 minutes until spinach is wilted and sauce is warmed through.
- Serve meatballs hot on top of warm spinach tomato sauce, garnish with fresh basil.
Tip: To serve as an appetizer pour warm spinach tomato sauce in a serving dish and arrange meatballs on top with a toothpick in each one.
Note: If you pair this with pasta, keep in mind that 1/2 cup of cooked pasta typically has 18 to 22 grams of total carbohydrates, depending on the brand and ingredients.
*4 meatballs alone, without sauce, have 6 grams of total carbohydrate.
Serves 4 (about 4 meatballs each)
- calories: 276
- calories from fat: 98
- carbohydrates: 16.0g
- cholesterol: 85mg
- dietary fiber: 5.2g
- potassium: 658mg
- protein: 29.1g
- saturated fat: 3.7g
- sodium: 481mg
- sugars: 5.8g
- total fat: 10.9g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you like to eat grilled cheese sandwiches?