Peanut Butter Oatmeal
Rolled oats are a delicious way to start your day. The problem: rolled oats are higher in carbs than some of the other breakfast options you may choose such as eggs and breakfast meats.
This breakfast recipe is a great option following a morning workout. Glucose disposal is greater (i.e. increased insulin sensitivity) in the post-exercise period (approximately 30-90 minutes after exercise) making it a good opportunity to enjoy a few extra carbs. The additional carbs will also help to replenish glycogen stores (storage form of carbs) in your muscles and liver.
Did you know exercise in the morning early morning has several health benefits in comparison to working out later in the day? Learn more here.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup almond milk (vanilla unsweetened)
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp. flaxseed meal
- 1 tbsp. creamy peanut butter
- ½ tsp. Truvia Baking Blend
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, combine rolled oats, almond milk, and water
- Heat in microwave for 2 to 3 minutes
- Remove rolled oat mixture from microwave
- Stir rolled oats
- Mix in flaxseed, peanut butter, and Truvia
- Top with cinnamon
- calories: 302
- carbohydrates: 36g
- fat: 15g
- fiber: 8g
- protein: 11g
- sugar: 3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you have high blood pressure?