Oven-Baked Tempeh Tenders With Tzatziki Style Dipping Sauce
Meat enthusiasts can’t help but skip the tempeh-tantrum and drool over these plant-based tenders. Unlike traditional alternatives, this crispy tempeh is an excellent source of feel-full fiber, promoting digestive health, immune function, and blood glucose control. Say goodbye to the highly oxidized fat content from deep-frying, and say hello to a baked (yet equally delicious) substitute.
Reap the benefits of plant-based proteins to help reduce the development of heart disease, hypertension, high cholesterol, chronic inflammation, and other health risks associated with type 2 diabetes. Plant power your way to better health and please your tastebuds with these crispy tenders paired with a tangy tzatziki-style dipping sauce. It’s a guilt-free indulgence with a Mediterranean twist that the household won’t be able to resist. After all, who needs Chicken Finger Friday when you have Tempeh Tenders Tuesday!
Makes: 2 servings
Serving size: 4 oz + ½ dipping sauce
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Ingredients for oven-baked tempeh tenders
- ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 8 oz tempeh soy based
- ¼ cup almond Greek-style yogurt unsweetened
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh dill
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
Directions for oven-baked tempeh tenders
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut the tempeh into 0.5- to 1-inch-thick strips.
- In a small shallow bowl, crack and beat eggs.
- In a new bowl, combine breadcrumbs and nutritional yeast and mix until evenly distributed. Then split equally between two bowls.
- Dip the tempeh in the first breadcrumb mixture.
- Submerge the tempeh in the egg mixture.
- Dip the tempeh in the second breadcrumb mixture. Be sure tempeh is thoroughly and evenly coated. Place tender on a parchment-lined baking sheet or a reusable silicone mat (cost-savvy and environmentally friendly).
- Repeat steps for remaining tempeh tenders.
- Bake until golden brown. Approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine plant-based yogurt, lemon juice, dill, salt, pepper, and paprika. Mix until fully incorporated. Serve with tenders.
- calories: 380
- carbohydrate: 32g
- fat: 13.5g
- fiber: 12.5g
- potassium: 459mg
- protein: 34.5g
- saturated fat: 3g
- sodium: 402mg
- sugar: 0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?