Tangy and sweet this orange chicken is the perfect way to capture your favorite flavors at home in a healthier way.
- 3 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (about 1 orange or 2 Mandarin oranges)
- 1/3 cup Agave Nectar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/5 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl combine orange juice, Agave nectar, ketchup, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Whisk to combine.
- Add in ground ginger, garlic powder and red pepper flakes and again whisk well to combine. Pour mixture over the chicken and turn to coat.
- Cook on HIGH for 4-5 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
- When chicken is done, remove chicken from slow cooker and cut into cubes or pull apart into bite-sized pieces and set aside. Cover to keep warm.
- Transfer the cooking liquid to a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Slowly sprinkle cornstarch into cooking liquid while whisking constantly to avoid clumps. Continue whisking 1-2 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Serve chicken with sauce drizzled on top and steamed broccoli on the side. Brown rice is another good side dish and it has about 15 grams of carbohydrate per 1/3 cup (30 grams of carbohydrate per 2/3 cup).
Notes: Boneless, skinless chicken thighs are dark meat and add depth of flavor to this dish but you can opt to use chicken breasts as well.
- calories: 223
- calories from fat: 68
- cholesterol: 114mg
- potassium: 54mg
- protein: 27.1g
- saturated fat: 1.5g
- sodium: 587mg
- sugars: 10.6g
- total carbohydrates: 12.3g
- total fat: 7.5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Have you experienced any foot complications from diabetes?