Easy Moo Shu Chicken Lettuce Cups
Savory and satisfying yet light, these moo shu lettuce cups are an easy and healthier version of your favorite take-out.
Ingredients for easy moo shu chicken lettuce cups
- 1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast (approx 4-5)
- 8 ounces Baby bella Mushrooms, chopped
- 2 ounces Shiitake mushrooms*, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 2 cups green cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons water
- 4 scallions, sliced at an angle for garnish
- 1 head Boston, Bibb or Butter Lettuce
Directions for easy moo shu chicken lettuce cups
- Cook chicken breasts either on an outdoor grill or with a stovetop grill pan, about 7-9 minutes, flipping once, until fully cooked with an internal temperature of 165'F. Once cooked, removed from the heat to a clean plate and let rest.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine chopped mushrooms and oil. Saute for about 5 minutes until mushrooms are tender and fragrant.
- Add in garlic and saute another 1-2 minutes.
- Add in cabbage, rice vinegar, hoisin, salt and water, stir to combine and saute for 2-3 minutes until cabbage begins to wilt slightly.
- While vegetables are cooking, carefully separate the head of lettuce by pulling off each of the leaves. Rinse lettuce leaves in cool water and pat dry with a paper towel or clean dish towel.
- Slice cooked chicken into long thin strips and add to vegetable mixture. Stir to combine and coat chicken with sauce. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, plate 3 lettuce leaves with a scoop of Moo Shu Chicken and vegetable mixture in each one.
- Garnish with sliced scallions.
*Note: Any variety of mushrooms you prefer works great in this recipe. If you like the stronger flavor of Shiitake mushrooms, you can use only those. If Shiitake are too pricey or hard to find in your market, the hearty Baby Bella or Portabello mushrooms work wonderfully as well.
Tip: Many markets sell pre-made coleslaw mixes or pre-chopped cabbage, try one of these for a time saving option.
- calories: 219
- calories from fat: 32
- cholesterol: 74mg
- dietary fiber: 4.2g
- potassium: 574mg
- protein: 28.7g
- sodium: 447mg
- sugars: 9.0g
- total carbohydrates: 17.7g
- total fat: 3.5g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?