Low-Carb Beef Chili
Delicious, protein-packed chili made easy in the slow cooker.
Did you know protein can assist with weight management? Check out this article to learn more!
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 8oz baby bella mushrooms, coursly chopped
- 1.5 pounds 95% lean grass fed ground beef
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6oz) can tomato paste
- 1.5 cups water*
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat add diced onions, stirring occasionally.
- Saute onions for 2-3 minutes then add zucchini and mushrooms and saute for 3 minutes more.
- Push veggies out to the outsides of the pan and add ground beef to the center.
- Brown ground beef for 4-5 minutes, leaving it in large chunks to add texture to your chili. Beef does not need to be cooked through as it will finish cooking in the slow cooker.
- Add chili powder, cumin and salt to pan and stir to combine.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato paste to the bottom of your slow cooker.
- Remove meat and veggies from heat and add to slow cooker. Add water to slow cooker. *If your slow cooker runs hotter than most, consider adding a bit more water.
- Cook in slow cooker for 6-8 hours on LOW setting.
- Serve hot with a garnish of cilantro.
*Adjust water to desired thickness/consistency
- calories: 205
- calories from fat: 60
- carbohydrates: 11.7g
- cholesterol: 70mg
- dietary fiber: 3.1g
- potassium: 662mg
- protein: 27.2g
- saturated fat: 3.1g
- sodium: 562mg
- sugars: 6.1g
- total fat: 6.7g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you like to eat grilled cheese sandwiches?