Lemon Thyme Chicken
Saucy and moist, bright and lemony, this crowd-pleasing dish brings chicken to a whole new level of flavor.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast, sliced into strips (about 3-4 breasts)
- 8 ounces Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced and fibrous ends removed
- 2 tablespoons flour (or Tapioca flour for gluten-free)
- 1.5 cups water
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp lemon zest (outermost bright yellow peel, about 1/2 lemon)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, about 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- lemon wedges for garnish
- 2 cups brown rice, prepared per package instructions
- Prepare brown rice per package instructions.
- Add oil to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add in strips of chicken, lightly season both sides with about 1/8 tsp of the allotted salt for this recipe.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping throughout, until no longer pink.
- Add in mushrooms and asparagus and cook for 3-4 minutes more.
- Sprinkle in flour and stir to combine.
- Allow flour to cook for 1-2 minutes then add in water, garlic powder, remaining salt, lemon zest, lemon juice and dried thyme.
- Stir to combine, bring to a gentle simmer and continue to cook for 3-5 minutes until sauce is thickened slightly.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with 1/3 cup of rice on top. Garnish with lemon wedge if desired.
Tip: Zest refers to the outermost brightly colored skin of citrus fruits such as lime, lemon and orange. You can use a zester tool or the fine small side of a cheese grater. It adds bright fresh flavor to any dish. Avoid zesting the white pith just beneath the skin as it can be bitter.
Tip: Try serving a small "scoop" of rice OVER your dish rather than under it. This way you'll get some rice with each bite and lower your carbohydrate intake.
- calories: 349
- calories from fat: 66
- carbohydrates: 29.7g
- cholesterol: 97mg
- dietary fiber: 2.5g
- potassium: 637mg
- protein: 40.9g
- saturated fat: 0.7g
- sodium: 431mg
- sugars: 1.5g
- total fat: 7.4g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?