Grilled Chicken Breast with Black and Green Grape Salsa
Grilled chicken doesn't have to be boring. Instead, use it as a vessel for nutritious goodness and delicious flavors. Step up any barbecue with this light, refreshing, and filled with satisfying textures that will make tastebuds sing.
This dish skips the salty marinades or packaged sauces and instead relies on the tangy flavor of fresh ingredients. Its high protein helps blunt a blood sugar rise and the fruit and whole grains, help prevent heart disease. This meal also has an abundance of potassium, which helps maintain fluid balance, cardiovascular function, and bone health.1 Reap the benefits of wholesome nutrition and add a boost of color to your diet with this delicious dish!
Makes 3 servings
Serving Size: 1/3 lb chicken with 1/3 salsa
Prep time: 45 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
Ingredients for grilled chicken with grape salsa
- 1 lb skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Fresh lime juice, from 1 whole lime
- 3 cups mixed seedless grapes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken stock – no salt added
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup fresh basil
- 1 bunch scallions, green tops only
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
Directions for grilled chicken with grape salsa
- In a large bowl, marinate chicken with olive oil, juice from ½ lime, salt, and pepper. Tightly cover and refrigerate, approximately 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, add halved grapes, juice from ½ lime, red wine vinegar, chopped fresh herbs, and scallions. Gently toss to combine.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Rinse and drain quinoa. Once cooked, add a pinch of salt and fluff with a fork.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Grill chicken breasts, approximately 6 minutes on each side, or to an internal temperature of 160F. On a plate, allow the chicken to rest. Approximately 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken topped with grape salsa and side of quinoa. Garnish with chopped scallions.
- calories: 467
- carbohydrate: 45g
- fat: 10g
- fiber: 4g
- potassium: 910mg
- protein: 44g
- saturated fat: 2g
- sodium: 194mg
- sugar: 26.5g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Have you experienced any complications associated with your diabetes?