Fresh Strawberry Almond Butter Toast
Looking for a fresh, new breakfast or snack idea? Concentrated sweets such as jam, jelly and honey tend to spike blood sugar levels so consider opting for fresh fruit as a swap-out. These fresh, sweet strawberries make an amazing addition with nutty almond butter and high-fiber bread.
- 1 slice high-fiber 100% whole grain bread
- 1-2 fresh strawberries
- 2 tsp unsalted almond butter (or your favorite unsweetened nut butter)
- Toast up your bread until it's nice an toasty so it will hold your delicious toppings.
- Spread a layer of nutty almond butter.
- Top with thinly sliced fresh strawberries.
- Tips: When shopping for bread choose one that says, "100% whole grain" and one that has a minimum of 3 grams of fiber per slice. Try this with any of your favorite unsweetened nut butters. It's also delicious with halved raspberries, fresh blueberries, sliced peach or sliced kiwi.
- calories: 141
- dietary fiber: 2.5g
- fat: 7.0g
- potassium: 169mg
- protein: 6.0g
- saturated fat: 0.8g
- sodium: 132mg
- sugars: 2.1g
- total carbohydrates: 14.4g
- trans fat: 0.2g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Did you know that diabetes is a risk factor for developing chronic kidney disease?