Flank Steak Salad with Strawberry Watermelon Salsa
Perfect for a warm weather meal, this flank steak salad is hearty, satisfying and topped with a sweet and delicious fresh fruit salsa instead of dressing.
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 1 cup watermelon, diced
- 1/2 cup English cucumber, diced
- 1 cup strawberries, diced
- 1/2 jalapeno, finely diced (optional for added heat)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 12 ounce flank steak
- 6 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 6 cups spinach, chopped
- Preheat grill.
- In a medium bowl combine red onion, watermelon, cucumber, strawberries and jalapeno(if using) with 1/8 tsp of salt. Gently stir to combine and allow to sit for a few minutes for flavors to develop.
- Season flank steak with 1/8 tsp of salt and pepper.
- Place on hot grill for 8-10 minutes, flipping only once until cooked to desired doneness.
- Remove meat from the grill and let rest for 5-10 minutes to retain juices. Then slice into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Plate each salad with 3 cups of combination of romaine and spinach, 3 ounces of flank steak and 1/2 cup of strawberry watermelon salsa. Top with a sprinkle of pepper if desired.
- Note: The juicy fresh fruit salsa is meant to replace salad dressing in this recipe but if you prefer to have additional dressing consider a red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing to keep it light and flavorful.
- calories: 213
- calories from fat: 68
- cholesterol: 47mg
- dietary fiber: 2.6g
- potassium: 779mg
- protein: 25.9g
- saturated fat: 3.0g
- sodium: 236mg
- sugars: 5.5g
- total carbohydrates: 10.7g
- total fat: 7.6g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you have high blood pressure?