Easy One Pot Mexican Rice
Savory with great texture and flavor and a good source of fiber and protein, this Mexican rice dish is perfect for dinner tonight.
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup frozen corn kernals
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes, no added salt
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional for added heat)
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, no salt added, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped for garnish
- 1 lime, sliced into thin wedges for garnish
- In a large saucepan over medium high heat, add ground turkey and break apart with a wooden spoon. Cook about 7-10 minutes or until cooked through and no longer pink.
- Add in corn, tomatoes with their juices, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt, stir to combine.
- Add in black beans and continue cooking until everything is heated through, another 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked brown rice and remove saucepan from the heat.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of cheese, cilantro and a lime wedge.
Serves 10 (1 cup serving each as pictured)
- calories: 254
- calories from fat: 66
- cholesterol: 41mg
- dietary fiber: 5.5g
- potassium: 470mg
- protein: 17.3g
- saturated fat: 2.9g
- sodium: 215mg
- sugars: 1.8g
- total carbohydrates: 30.4g
- total fat: 7.3g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Did you know that diabetes is a risk factor for developing chronic kidney disease?