Easy Chopped Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
So savory and tender and loaded with nutrients and fiber, finely chopping these makes them easy to cook and delicious to eat. The addition of lean Canadian bacon bumps up the flavor while keeping the fat low.
Learn more about the importance of fiber for type 2 diabetes management. Check out this article!
- 1/2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 ounces (about 2-3 small rounds) Canadian bacon, finely diced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely diced
- 2 pounds Brussels sprouts, thinly chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large pan over medium heat add 1/2 tablespoon oil, onion, bacon and mushrooms. Saute, stirring occasionally, for 4-6 minutes until fragrant and tender.
- Add in minced garlic and saute 1-2 minutes more.
- Add in chopped Brussels sprouts, saute, stirring often, for 7-10 minutes or until Brussels sprouts are tender but still vibrant green with a slight bite.
- Add salt, stir to combine.
- Remove from heat. Serve hot alongside your favorite roasted meats for a delicious meal.
Tip: This recipe makes a large portion to feed a group. If you wish to make a smaller amount, simply cut these recipe quantities in half.
- calories: 56
- calories from fat: 10
- cholesterol: 4mg
- dietary fiber: 3.2g
- potassium: 393mg
- protein: 5.1g
- sodium: 200mg
- sugars: 2.5g
- total carbohydrates: 8.7g
- total fat: 1.1g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Has diabetes changed your exercise routine?