Diabetes Compatible New Yawk Cheesecake
There have got to be a billion recipes called New York Cheesecake. The one constant is that it is heavy and creamy. Not an airy-fairy confection - this is “stick to your ribs" cheesecake. Some like to top it with fruit goop; I am a purist and top it only with almonds to hide the possible cracking.
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts (either Almonds, Walnuts, or Pecans)
- 1/4 c. GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 large egg
- 2-8oz. pkgs. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
- ¾ cup granulated sugar substitute
- 4 tsp. lemon juice + 1 tsp lemon grated lemon zest
- 4 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 TBSP. flour
- Sliced almonds to sprinkle over filling
- In the bowl of a food processor pulse the dry ingredients to mix. Cut butter into 8 pieces to distribute in dry ingredients. Pulse until coarse pea sized bits. Add egg and continue to pulse until the dough forms a ball that revolves on the blade
- Remove dough, pat out to a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 35-45 minutes. Roll out on flowered surface to about a 11 inch circle. Grease the springform all over and press the dough into it. (don’t panic, it always falls apart a little. Just press it into place). This dough is fragile and will break. Not to worry just piece it together with your fingers. Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes before filling.
- In the food processor combine granulated sugar substitute and cream cheese & Ricotta. Whip on high speed until combined. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined. Taste for balance of flavor. Adjust granulated sugar substitute or lemon or vanilla to suit your taste.
- Pour filling into springform. Top with almonds and sprinkle with granulated sugar substitute
- Bake at 300 for 45 min to one hour until sides are set but the center is still slightly jiggly. Remove cool completely. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving
Per serving (serves 8)
- calories: 390
- cholesterol: 175mg
- fiber: 0.9g
- potassium: 213mg
- protein: 11.5g
- sodium: 323mg
- sugars: 2.3g
- total carbohydrates: 13.3g
- total fat: 32.3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?