This juicy and tender chicken is baked instead of fried and it's delicious when covered in hearty and savory mushroom Marsala sauce.
- 2 - 10 ounce packages of Crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Marsala cooking wine
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper
- garnish with parsley, cilantro or chives
- Preheat oven to 375'F.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil and mushrooms and saute over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- While mushrooms begin to cook, slice chicken breasts in half lengthwise and place in a resealable plastic bag. Pound with a meat mallet until each one is about 1/2 inch thick.
- Place flour in a flat dish and add a pinch of fresh ground black pepper, lightly dredge each chicken breast half in the flour coating both sides and place them on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 375'F for about 20 minutes, flipping once or twice during cooking, until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160-165'F and is no longer pink.
- When you put the chicken in the oven, add the Marsala wine and chicken broth to your mushrooms, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer. The Marsala should simmer for at least 15 minutes to allow the flavors to develop.
- Once your chicken is cooked through, remove it from the oven and nestle it down into your skillet full of mushrooms. Simmer the chicken and mushrooms together for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice or pasta with some fresh steamed veggies or salad on the side.
- calories: 224
- calories from fat: 75
- cholesterol: 83mg
- dietary fiber: 1.4g
- potassium: 313mg
- protein: 28.7g
- saturated fat: 2.1g
- sodium: 211mg
- sugars: 1.6g
- total carbohydrates: 10.4g
- total fat: 8.3g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Have you taken our Person Before Patient Survey?