This is a delicious lower-carb version of the traditional Shepherd’s Pie made irresistibly savory with the addition of grass-fed ground beef and perfectly balanced herbs and seasonings.
- 1.5 lbs lean ground grass-fed beef*
- 1 large head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder, divided
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried thyme, divided
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/4 cup water
- 15oz can no added salt diced tomatoes
- 2 Tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400’F.
- In a large pot add 1-2 inches of water to the bottom. Add in cauliflower florets and steam over medium-high heat for 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Drain water from pot. Let sit with the lid on for 5 minutes to dry out the cauliflower.
- While the cauliflower is cooking, prepare the meat. In a large pan over medium-high heat brown the beef and add in the diced onion, saute, breaking up the meat and stirring, for about 10 minutes or until the meat is cooked through and not longer pink.
- Add in 1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp Italian Seasoning and 1/2 tsp dried thyme and allow spices to toast for 1 minute.
- add in peas, water and diced tomatoes and stir to combine.
- Once cauliflower is cooked, transfer it to a food processor. Add in 1/4 tsp garlic powder, butter, almond milk, 1/4 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp dried thyme and 1/8 tsp black pepper. Blend for 1-2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed until cauliflower puree is smooth and whipped.
- Pour meat mixture into a 13×9 inch baking dish, spread cauliflower puree on top of the meat and spread out evenly.
- Bake at 400’F for 20-25 minutes until heated through and cauliflower is golden brown. Serve hot.
- *Note: You can use any ground meat you prefer in this recipe. If you are using beef it’s ideal to choose grass-fed beef as it is lower in fat and calories and rich in omega-3 fatty acids and is still full of flavor.