Cauliflower Bread Sticks
A delicious lower-carb alternative, these cauliflower bread sticks are packed with nutrients, high in Vitamin C and taste great, especially when dipped in marinara sauce.
- 1 large head Cauliflower (6-7 inches diameter)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425'F
- Cut large cauliflower into florets and place in food processor.
- Pulse until cauliflower is the consistency of fine rice.
- Transfer minced cauliflower to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 2 to 2 1/2 minutes until steaming hot and tender. Let cool slightly.
- Once cool enough to handle, transfer steamed cauliflower into the center of a clean dish towel or cheesecloth. Twist, press and squeeze out as much moisture as possible.
- You will be left with a doughy texture. Place dough on a baking sheet that has been lined with a non-stick baking mat or lightly sprayed with cooking spray
- Shape dough into a rectangle about 4 inches wide and about 8-10 inches long. Bias the rectangle towards one side of the baking sheet so you'll have room to flip it part way through cooking.
- Bake at 425'F for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and loosen loaf with a thin metal spatula and carefully flip it over and continue baking on the other side for 7-10 minutes more until golden and firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 5 minutes. Using knife or edge of metal spatula, slice into 1 inch thick sticks. Serve with no-added-sugar marinara sauce and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- Tip: If you are unable to eat eggs you can substitute 1 tablespoon ground chia meal mixed with 1/4 cup water in place of 1 egg. If you prefer to avoid egg yolks, you can use egg substitute found in the refrigerator section of your grocery store and substitute 1/4 cup in place of 1 egg.
Makes 10 bread sticks (serving size = 2 bread sticks)
- calories: 81
- calories from fat: 22
- cholesterol: 37mg
- dietary fiber: 4.4g
- potassium: 570mg
- protein: 6.5g
- saturated fat: 1.1g
- sodium: 267mg
- sugars: 4.9g
- total carbohydrates: 10.4g
- total fat: 2.5g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.net cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you like to eat grilled cheese sandwiches?