Carb-Friendly Shepherd's Pie
Comfort food at it’s best, shepherd’s pie is a family favorite. To make it more carbohydrate friendly, ditch the potatoes for the ever-popular cauliflower rice and the combination is perfection. With tons of flavors and healthy ingredients, you will be so proud that you chose this amazing dinner recipe!
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 2 cups
Ingredients for carb-friendly shepherd's pie
- 1 lb lean ground chicken or turkey
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups frozen cauliflower rice
Directions for carb-friendly shepherd's pie
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Sautee onions, carrots, celery, and peas in a large skillet for 3-5 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook thoroughly.
- Add flour and cook for one minute.
- Add tomato paste, broth, rosemary and thyme and mix well. Let cook until sauce thickens around 5 minutes.
- Place in baking dish and put in oven for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes add frozen cauliflower rice all over the top of the mixture and put back into the oven for 5-10 minutes or until cauliflower is warm and cooked through.
- Remove from oven and serve warm.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- calories: 183
- carbohydrate: 12.4g
- fat: 0.4g
- fiber: 3.8g
- potassium: 1896mg
- protein: 29.5g
- sodium: 577mg
- sugar: 6.1g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?