Broccoli Mashed Potatoes
A fresh spin on mashed potatoes gives great flavor and delicious texture and transforms them into a vibrantly colored side dish.
- 1 pound potatoes, cut into cubes
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach leaves, thawed and drained well (squeeze water out)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Steam potatoes in a large pot over an inch or two of water, covered for about 10 minutes.
- Add broccoli on top of the potatoes, cover and steam another 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove the broccoli with tongs to a large bowl, mash with a potato masher then add the potatoes, spinach, cheese, broth, salt and pepper and mash until smooth, there will still be some lumps.
- Serve hot topped with a sprinkle of cheese
- calories: 115
- calories from fat: 32
- carbohydrates: 16.3g
- cholesterol: 10mg
- dietary fiber: 3.5mg
- potassium: 541mg
- protein: 5.8g
- saturated fat: 2.0g
- sodium: 342mg
- sugars: 2.0g
- total fat: 3.5g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com does not provide any express or implied warrant toward the content or outcome of any recipe.
Do you know someone living with kidney cancer?