Chicken and Bok Choy Stir Fry
This is a quick and easy stir-fry with great fresh flavor and garlic grilled chicken. Bok choy is a leafy vegetable that tastes great with mild seasoning and light cooking as in this recipe. I served it up with a small amount of fluffy jasmine rice, since it's so quick cooking, but you can also try brown rice or wild rice.
- 8 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders (or 4 chicken breasts)
- 1/4 cup low-sodium Stir Fry Sauce
- 4 medium carrots, sliced on an angle
- 1 cup snow peas
- 4 cups baby bok choy, stems removed, large leaves chopped
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1/4 Red onion, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger root, grated
- 1/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- sesame seeds for garnish
- 4 green onions, sliced for garnish
- 1 cup Rice, White, Long-grain, Regular, Cooked
- Preheat grill or stove-top grill pan if using.
- Prepare the bok choy; cut off the stem, leave the small inner bok choy intact. Wash all leaves thoroughly under cool water.
- Coat chicken in stir-fry sauce and grill until it reaches an internal temperature of 165'F, ~3-5 minutes for chicken tenders (~6-8 minutes for chicken breasts), set aside on a plate covered with foil to keep warm. *You can also use a stove-top grill pan or panini press for the chicken!
- In a wok or large saute pan over medium heat, add 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil, garlic and ginger and stir constantly until fragrant about 1 minute.
- Add in sliced carrots, bell peppers, onion and snow peas, stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add in bok choy leaves, toss to coat. Pour in 1/4 cup chicken broth and cover.
- Simmer for 3-5 minutes until vegetables are tender but colors are still vibrant.
- Drizzle with a few drops of toasted sesame oil and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Serve with steamed rice (1/4 cup rice on top ~10grams of carb) and grilled chicken.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and green onions.
Tip: When adding rice to a recipe such as this, try using a small ice cream scoop and adding the rice *On top* of your stir fry rather than under it. You'll eat less rice and still get some rice in every bite!
- calories: 231
- calories from fat: 19
- cholesterol: 46mg
- dietary fiber: 4.1g
- potassium: 544mg
- protein: 26.6g
- sodium: 477mg
- sugars: 9.8g
- total carbohydrates: 25.9g
- total fat: 2.1g
- trans fat: 0.0g
Disclaimer: Type2Diabetes.com cannot guarantee a recipe that has been scaled to make a different number of servings from the original.
Do you like to eat grilled cheese sandwiches?