Community Answers

  1. slpugh says:

    If you are poor you get to see a nurse practitioner. The clinic then sends you to a diabetes educator, mine is a pharmacist. Then you have the option of seeing a dietician. Mine works for the maternity and infant part of clinic care. Poor people do not get the level of care you describe. If I can’t pay for an eye exam and glasses, I don’t see the optometrist.

  2. v5e0ct says:

    I currently have 8 Drs on my care team. My primary, an endo, a gastroenterologist, nephrologist, neurosurgeon (back problem), general surgeon (hernias), podiatrist and rheumatologist. I’m a messn. Lol. My primary care Dr is great, but she doesn’t hesitate to send me to a specialist when she thinks it’s needed.

  3. Margot moderator says:

    Thanks so much for sharing v5e0ct! It is great to hear that your doctor sends you to specialists when she thinks they will help! Have you found them helpful? Thinking of you. Best, Margot, Team Member

  4. TheLongPointGirl moderator says:

    I hope it’s ok to offer another option. There is absolutely a place for the specialists but if your primary doctor is very skilled in diabetes care, that may be all you need in the early days after diagnosis if your care can be managed effectively. I had amazing care for 12 years with my family doctor. I have only gotten the specialists this year. Maybe have a conversation with your primary doctor and ask what their comfort is with this type of care.

  5. Margot moderator says:

    In addition to your primary healthcare provider, you may wish to see a diabetes educator, dietitian, nutritionist, or complementary or alternative medicine provider. You can find out more about these here! and

  6. There are several key players you want to have on your Diabetes Team in addition to regular check-ups with your primary care doctor. An Optometrist or Ophthalmologist will monitor your eye health and vision, regular dental exams are a critical piece in your overall health, a podiatrist helps ensure the health and care of your feet, a Diabetes Educator and/or Registered Dietitian will help you navigate changes to your diet and a counselor or therapist can be very helpful in providing support and resources as you process your diagnosis. If your condition is difficult to manage it may be a good idea to also see an Endocrinologist, or Diabetes-specific doctor in addition to your primary care doctor. They specialize in all things Diabetes and as a specialist, have extensive knowledge and experience with managing diabetes.

  7. I would encourage anyone with type 2 diabetes to see an Endocrinologist in addition to their primary care doctor. Endocrinologists are specially trained physicians who diagnose diseases related to the glands. The glands in a person’s body release hormones. Endocrinologists treat people who suffer from hormonal imbalances. If you have any chronic complications (i.e. Kidney disease) you may need to see other specialized physicians. Your primary care doctor can give you a referral if a specialist is needed. .

Share Your Answer

SubscribeJoin 19,000 subscribers to our weekly newsletter.

Your username will be visible to others.

Reader favorites