Protein Power Up - Sweet Snacks You'll Love
Does your sweet tooth strike in the mid-afternoon? We all have days when we just can’t shake that craving! First, try riding out the craving wave –take a brief brisk walk or enjoy a cup of tea or coffee and see if it passes. But it you just can’t beat it, rather than grabbing a candy bar or pastry from the local coffee shop, try whipping up one of these deliciously sweet snacks. They feature whole foods that are packed with protein to keep you satisfied and full keeping your energy up through the afternoon. Just remember sweets are occasional induldgences and not every day snacks! Calories vary with brands, so be sure to always read the food label!
- Hazelnut Cocoa Swirl: – Stir together 1/2 cup low-fat cottage cheese with a tablespoon of chocolate hazelnut spread for a delicious pudding substitute (165 kcals, 15 g protein, 13 g CHO).
- PB&A: Serve 1 tablespoon peanut butter with 1 small apple, sliced (149 kcals, 4g protein, 18 g CHO). You just can’t go wrong with this old-time favorite!
- Energize Your Yogurt: Top 1 small container of plain fat-free Greek yogurt with 2 tbsp low-fat granola and 1 tbsp dried cranberries for a sweet and satisfying snack (168 kcals, 19 g protein, 23 g CHO)
- Prosciutto Wrapped Apple Bites: Cut ½ of a medium green apple into 4 slices. Pair each slice with 1/4 ounce extra sharp cheddar cheese, and wrap with ½ slice of prosciutto. The ultimate salty-sweet bite (186 kcals, 12 g protein, 10 g CHO).
- Protein-Packed Chia Seed Pudding: This is a great recipe to make in the evening and enjoy the next day. Stir together 1/2 tbsp chia seeds and 6 oz plain fat-free soy milk and let rest in the refrigerator overnight. Top with ¼ cup fresh or frozen mango before serving (112 kcal, 6 g protein, 18 g CHO). Enjoy this creamy and delicious treat.
- Cottage Cheese and Melons: Serve ½ cup of low-fat cottage cheese with 1 cup diced honeydew melon for a protein-packed sweet treat. (142 kcal, 15 g protein, 18 g CHO)
- Brown Rice Cake with Ricotta and Jam – Spread 1 brown rice cake with 1 tablespoon of low fat ricotta cheese and 1 tablespoon of all-fruit preserves. Tastes just like a satisfying dessert! (131 kcal, 3g protein, 27g CHO)
How many times have you blamed an unhealthy food choice on lack of willpower? Learn the real truth about willpower! And next time you are craving a sweet afternoon treat, try one of these delicious and creative recipes. You won’t be disappointed!
What aspect of diabetes management do you struggle with most?