Surviving Tailgate Season
The smell of autumn is in the air. Along with the start of autumn is also the beginning of football season! Football season is a time when many of us may enjoy a tailgate here and there; some of us may even host a tailgate every weekend. Don’t let rooting for your favorite football team sabotage your diet.
Average Calorie & Carb (CHO) Amount of Favorite Tailgate Foods:
- Chili 1 cup: 256 calories and 22 g CHO
- Cheese nachos 6-8 chips: 346 calories 36 g CHO
- Pepperoni pizza 1 slice: 298 calories 34 g CHO
- Beef meatballs 1 oz: 44 calories, 2 g CHO
- Beef hot dog 1 link, 5 inches (no bun): 165 calories 2 g CHO
- Beef ribs 1 oz: 87 calories, 0 g CHO
- Chicken wings 1 small wing: 81 calories, 0 g CHO
- Cheeseburger 1 sandwich: 303 calories, 30 g CHO
Snacks, Sides and Dips:
- Jalapeno poppers 2: 140 calories, 13 g CHO
- Spinach and artichoke dip 2 tbsp: 90 calories, 2 g CHO
- Potato chips 15 chips: 160 calories, 15 g CHO
- Tortilla chips 12 chips: 138 calories, 19 g CHO
- French Onion Chip Dip 2 tablespoons: 60 calories, 2 g CHO
- Queso dip 2 tablespoons: 40 calories, 0 g CHO
- Chocolate chip cookies 1 medium cookie: 78 calories, 9 g CHO
- Chocolate brownie 2” square: 112 calories, 12 g CHO
- Sugar cookie 1 cookie: 113 calories, 16 g CHO
- Carmel Corn 1 cup: 151 calories, 28 g CHO
- Beer 12 oz: 154 calories 13 grams of CHO
- Red wine 5 oz: 125 calories, 4 g CHO
- Regular pop 12 oz: 140 calories, 39 g CHO
(with approximate calories and carb amounts):
- Turkey Chili 1 cup: 200 calories, 23 g CHO
- Turkey burger 4 oz patty: 180 calories, 0 g CHO
- Salmon patty 4 oz patty: 130 calories, 0 g CHO
Snacks, Sides and Dips:
- Assorted nuts 10 nuts: 85 calories, 3 g CHO
- Pretzels 20 mini pretzels: 110 calories, 25 g CHO
- Air popped popcorn 1 cup: 31 calories, 6 g CHO
- Grilled corn on the cob (coated with 1 teaspoon olive oil) ½ large ear with olive oil: 100 calories, 14 g CHO
- Hummus 1 tablespoon: 25 calories, 2 g CHO
- Cherry tomatoes 12 tomatoes: 37 calories, 8 g CHO
- Kale chips 1 cup: 55 calories, 8 g CHO
- Salsa 2 tablespoons: 10 calories, 2 g CHO
- Baked apples on the grill 1 medium apple: 95 calories, 25 g CHO
- Grilled fruit kabobs (strawberry, melon, pineapple) 1 kabob: approximately 43 calories, 11 g CHO
- Sugar free Jell-O 1/8 package: 10 calories, 0 g CHO
Tips and tricks
1. Don’t come hungry.
2. Offer to bring a healthy entrée, side or snack such as:
- Turkey burgers and whole wheat buns
- Roasted vegetable packs: peppers, onions and mushrooms. Toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil, minced garlic salt and pepper. Wrap is foil and roast on grill.
- Veggies with Greek yogurt or hummus dip
3. Pass on the alcohol.
4. Get some activity at the tailgate:
- Pass a football
- Play Frisbee
- Tailgating at a college campus? Walk around the campus
5. Distract yourself from the food table by playing games:
- Football trivia
- Ring toss
- Bean bag toss
6. Eat using a small plate.
7. Is there a favorite food you have been looking forward to? Give yourself permission to have a small portion and then stick to the lighter options.
8. Keep yourself well hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
9. If you are in the habit of grazing, choose carb free/low carb options to snack on such as nuts, vegetables, and cheese to help keep your blood sugar in check.
Recipes Ideas From type2diabetes.com
Have you taken our Person Before Patient Survey?