It’s Snack Time!
As a dietitian, I am always asked for recommendations on healthy snack ideas. Snack time is a very important (and frequent!) event in my home so trust me when I say that these are tried and true combinations. With fiber, protein, and flavor you will be left satisfied and happy! Keep these items on hand at all times to make healthy snacking easier for you and your entire family!
Healthy snacks in between meals
For low carbohydrate snacking options it is recommended that snacks are kept at less than or equal to five grams. Here is a list of delicious options that will keep you content between meals!
- Celery and cream cheese
- Cut 2 medium celery stalks into small pieces.
- Add 1 oz cream cheese for dipping.
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 109 calories, Carbohydrate: 3 grams, Fiber: 1 gram, Sugars: 2 grams, Protein: 2 grams, Fat: 10 grams.
- Cheese slice
- The serving size is 1 ounce, about the size of your thumb. And all kinds of cheese will give you about the same amount of carbohydrates and calories. So mix it up to add variety!
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 110, Carbohydrate: 1 gram, Fiber: 0 grams, Sugars: 0 grams, Protein: 7 grams, Fat: 9 grams.
- 1 cup of Skinny Pop Popcorn ® will help you curb that crunchy and salty craving!
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 40, Carbohydrates: 4 grams, Fiber: <1 gram, Sugars: 0 grams, Protein: 0 grams, Fat: 1 gram.
- Pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup Trader Joe’s in- shell Pumpkin seeds.
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 170, Carbohydrates: 4 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 0 grams, Protein: 9 grams, Fat: 15 grams.
- Green pepper slices with hummus
- Cut ½ green pepper into slices and add 1 tbsp hummus for a crunchy snack!
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 47, Carbohydrate: 5 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 2 grams, Protein: 2 grams, Fat: 3 grams.
Healthy snacks before exercise
If you are looking to add a few carbohydrates to your snack because you are about to exercise or are insulin- dependent, check out these healthy but yummy options! It is usually recommended to keep a snack before exercise or with insulin therapy at about 15 grams of carbohydrates.
- Carrots and hummus
- Cut 2 medium carrots and dip them into 2 TBSP of hummus.
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 120, Carbohydrates: 16 grams, Fiber: 4 grams, Sugars: 7 grams, Protein: 3 grams, Fat: 5 grams
- Peanut butter and crackers
- Take 8 whole grain crackers and spread 1 oz peanut butter evenly divided.
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 164, Carbohydrates: 14 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 4 grams, Protein: 5 grams, Fat: 11 grams
- Cheese and crackers
- Cut 1 ounce of cheddar cheese plus 8 whole grain crackers such as Wheat Thins®.
- Nutrition Information – Calories: 180, Carbohydrates: 12 grams, Fiber: 2 grams, Sugars: 3 grams, Protein: 8 grams, Fat: 12 grams.