A DASH Here, a DASH There, Everywhere a DASH, DASH (1800 - 2000 kcal)
When it comes to a healthier lifestyle, a great place to start is with the DASH diet. DASH means Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension, and while it was originally developed for those with hypertension, it emphasizes eating whole, nourishing foods and is actually well-suited for anyone who simply wants to boost their health!
This tasty meal plan closely adheres to the DASH diet guidelines to limit sodium and maximize wellness, but it definitely doesn’t hold back on flavor! Check out the delicious dishes below, which focus on fresh fruit and vegetables, whole grains, low fat and nonfat dairy, healthy fats, and lean proteins, while limiting sugar and saturated fat and all for 1800-2000 calories! Mix and match different combinations to please your palate while still benefitting from all the heart-healthy perks.
Mushroom Egg Bake
- 1 teaspoon EVOO
- 1 large Portobello cap, stem removed
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup low-sodium salsa
- ½ cup low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Drizzle EVOO over mushroom cap. Carefully crack the egg in the middle and bake for 10 minutes or until egg white is set.
- Top with salsa and serve over black beans.
Nutrition facts: Cal: 300 Fat: 11g Protein: 19g Carbohydrates: 32g Sodium: 244mg Potassium: 1193mg
MOVE IT, SHAKE IT: You might be a lover of cross fit, spin class, or perhaps an extreme sport like BASE jumping. Whatever it may be, it should be fun to do and convenient to keep up on a consistent basis. After all, the best form of exercise is the kind you’ll stick to! If you’re feeling stuck in a workout rut and want to amp up the fitness fun factor but are feeling crunched for time, there are plenty of ways to sneak in some movement! Try dishwasher yoga where you balance on 1 foot while you wash and dry. Swap your couch for a stability ball when you’re catching up on your favorite shows. Do stretches or go for a walk around the neighborhood while you’re catching up with a friend or family member on the phone. Dance in the kitchen while dinner is cooking. Mix it up and keep it super fun!
- 1 granny smith apple
- ¼ cup walnuts
- Dash of cinnamon
Nutrition facts: Cal: 259 Fat: 16g Protein: 4g Carbohydrates: 29g Sodium: 2mg Potassium: 305mg
Greek to Me Salad
- 3 cups mixed greens
- ¾ cup low-sodium white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon hummus
- ½ cup grape tomatoes
- ½ cup diced cucumber
- 1 1/2 oz. feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons EVOO
- Fresh parsley
- Add mixed greens to large bowl.
- Mix in beans, tomatoes, cucumber, hummus, and feta.
- Toss with lemon juice, EVOO, and lemon juice. Top with fresh parsley.
Nutrition facts: Cal: 450 Fat: 20g Protein: 20g Carbohydrates: 48g Sodium: 563mg Potassium: 1039mg
- 1 cup celery sticks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsweetened dried fruit like apricots, or dried cranberries/raisins
- Spread peanut butter on celery and top with cranberries.
Nutrition facts: Cal: 227 Fat: 16g Protein: 8g Carbohydrates: 12g Sodium: 11mg Potassium: 231mg
CRAVING SWEETS? You’re not alone in the mid-day slump. Many people tend to crave sweets mid afternoon. Learn how to conquer sugar cravings once and for all!
Grilled Fish Tacos
- 2 corn tortillas, warmed
- 3-4 oz. grilled white fish
- 2 tablespoons sliced radishes
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup diced pineapple or mango
- ¼ cup diced tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Grill fish on medium heat.
- Warm tortillas and heat beans.
- Mix tomato and mango with fresh cilantro.
- Fill tortilla with fish, beans, cabbage, and radishes. Top with mango and tomato salsa.
Nutrition facts: Cal: 332 Fat: 5g Protein: 28g Carbohydrates: 46g Sodium: 121mg Potassium: 793mg
Creamy Chocolate Shake
- ½ frozen banana (frozen ripened)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ avocado
- Mix all ingredients in blender until smooth.
Nutrition fact: Cal: 201 Fat: 9g Protein 4g Carbohydrate 35g Sodium: 121mg Potassium 633mg
How stressed out do you feel today?