5 High Fiber Snacks You’ll LOVE!
Are you eating enough fiber? If you are like 97% of Americans, you may be falling short of recommendations (25g per day for women, 38 g per day for men). Including fiber-rich foods in snacks can be a great way to boost your intake. Fiber can help slow the digestion of carbohydrates to provide slow, sustained energy, rather than a quick boost followed by a crash. Some types of fiber can be fermented by gut bacteria, keeping your digestive tract healthy and running smoothly. Fill up on fiber next time you need a snack! Here are some of our favorite fiber-rich snack ideas:
Fiber snack ideas and recipes
- Nutty Avocado Toast: Toast 1 slice of whole grain bread, top with ¼ sliced avocado, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp hemp hearts,1 tbsp chopped walnuts, or 1 tbsp flax seeds and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. This easy snack is filling and satisfying. (180 kcals, 16 g CHO, 7 g fiber)
- Cheesy Trees: Place 1 cup cooked broccoli in a microwave-safe bowl. Sprinkle with 1 ounce of reduced fat cheddar cheese and microwave for just 30 seconds to melt the cheese (120 kcals, 11g CHO, 5g fiber). Enjoy this ooey-gooey warm and savory treat.
- Lentils & Greens: Combine 1/4 cup warm cooked lentils, 1 cup mixed baby greens, ½ tbsp olive oil, 1 tsp lemon juice, 1 tbsp crumbled feta cheese, and season with salt and pepper to taste (150 kcals, 12 g CHO, 5g fiber). Enjoy this easy and tasty snack any time of the day.
- Guac & Beans: Warm ¼ cup no-fat-added refried beans in the microwave. Top with 2 tbsp fresh guacamole and 4 quartered cherry tomatoes. Serve with 6 blue corn chips for dipping (127 kcals, 20 g CHO, 5g fiber). This is a crowd-pleasing treat that the whole family will love.
- Nutty Bok Choy: Drizzle 2 cups cooked bok choy with 1 tbsp of peanut sauce and enjoy for an easy and light snack. (142 kcal, 11 g CHO, 5 g fiber)
How to cook bok choy: Wash and clean the bok choy of any loose dirt, place in a steamer until stems of the bok choy are soft on the outside, but still crisp on the inside.
How to make peanut sauce: Put 1 tbsp of creamy peanut butter in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 15-20 seconds until creamy. Stir in the juice of one lime wedge and some chili paste, and voila!.
Next time you reach for a snack, try one of these tasty creations to give your daily fiber intake a super-boost!
How long have you been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes?