Is Your Diabetes Making You Feel Overwhelmed?
There are times in our lives when diabetes starts to overwhelm us to the point where it feels like diabetes has the upper hand. Diabetes "overwhelmus" is real and has the ability to stop us from moving ahead in our diabetes management and other areas of our life.1 Here are a few things that help me cope when my diabetes is bringing me down.
How to cope when diabetes becomes overwhelming
Take a deep breath, exhale, and repeat. This is a time when yoga breathing really comes in handy!
Take out your journal and start writing! Write down what areas in your life, and life with diabetes, you are currently struggling with and why you think you are struggling:
- Why aren't you making time for exercise? It's hard and I don't make the time.
- Why are you feeling frustrated with checking your blood sugars? I don't feel like it.
- Why aren't you carb counting? I don't feel like it!
Follow up with answers/goals that are achievable and won’t overwhelm or seem impossible to achieve:
- I'm going to walk 10 minutes every day this week.
- I don't feel like checking my blood sugars, but I know it's important - I'm checking 4 times a day for the next 7 days and see what I can learn.
- I'm going to make an effort to count carbs for the next week, so I can become more aware of what I'm putting in my body.
And make sure you write down all your diabetes successes to date and no matter how small. Little victories mean a lot and we all need to be reminded of how far we've come!
Schedule an appointment with a therapist, bring your journal and "talk it out" with a professional.
Take a step back and do things that makes you smile. Go play outside; get your hands dirty in the garden, listen to music or a podcast that's been in your cue forever, pick up the phone and call a friend, read a book or watch an episode of something that will make you laugh from your belly!
What helps you manage when diabetes starts to overwhelm and bring you down?
What aspect of diabetes management do you struggle with most?