25 Ways to Sneak in Exercise (That You’re Completely Overlooking)
Have you ever gone through one of those phases where you’re really dedicated to exercise? And you get in the groove and wake up every morning ready to hit the treadmill/weights/Zumba floor? And then you get sick or your kid gets sick or work gets busy or your goats suddenly start taking up more time than you expected and you fall out of the pattern all of a sudden it’s been three months since you put on your yoga pants and feel like you’ll never, ever exercise again?
Yeah, me too.
The thing is, there are dozens and dozens of ways to sneak in exercise. And you don’t have to go all out or get all of your movement in one chunk of time—doing it in small bits and bursts still counts. In fact, research has suggested that it’s probably more beneficial to your health to move all day rather than exercising for an hour and then sitting on your keister for the rest of the day.
And now, I present to you:
25 Sneaky Ways to Exercise That You’re Completely Overlooking:
- Right after you get out of bed, before you do anything else, do a few quick stretches or yoga moves.
- Do lunges or squats while you brush your teeth.
- Do some angled pushups on the counter while your coffee brews or your oatmeal cooks.
- Do a one minute plank while you wait for your turn in the shower.
If you’re heading to work…
- Walk into the restaurant where you’re getting your second cup of coffee instead of going through the drive thru.
- Park far away in the parking lot, and do a lap around the building before you head in to work.
- Take the stairs.
- Do tricep dips on your office chair while you wait for your computer to wake up.
- Walk to the bathroom on another floor.
- Do more lunges and/or squats while you’re on a conference call (with the door closed, probably).
- Volunteer to walk down to the corner to drop those documents at UPS.
- Walk on your lunch break.
- Do calf raises on the stairs on your way back up to work.
- Take a yoga break when you feel sluggish. Try a couple of downward dogs and a few more planks.
- Anytime you’re alone in an elevator, do jumping jacks (you’re supposed to be taking the stairs!)
- Walk down the hall to talk to your colleagues instead of IMing them.
- Walk into a grocery store and do a few laps while picking up something filled with color and fiber on your way home from work instead of going to another drive through for dinner.
If you’re at home with the kids…
- Take a family walk every single day.
- Do 15 minutes of yoga or Pilates with your kid; they’ll get a kick out of it and try to copy your moves.
- Do jump squats while you fold the laundry.
- Take the munchkins to the playground and play, too (instead of sitting and looking at your phone)
- Dance party!
- Follow an exercise DVD while your kids nap.
- Do some high kicks or reverse lunges while your kids are playing in the tub.
- March in place while you watch TV.
And no matter what your day is like or who you’re with...
Stand up as often as you can and move that body!
Have you experienced any complications from diabetes?